1.Putting toothpaste on a sting stops the pain.
2. Baking soda is an excellent antacid.
3. Eating activated charcoal will bind ingested chemicals and poisons
4. Aloe Vera gel takes the heat out of burns
5. Natural yogurt stops the irritation and clears vaginal thrush
6. Natural yogurt takes the heat out of sunburn
7. A strong magnet will draw metal to the surface of a wound
8. Olive oil smothers head lice killing them. Repeat after 5 days
9. Olive oil treats psoriasis and dry eczema preventing cracking
10. Cling wrap is the ideal covering for burns
11. Cinnamon sticks in a jar with water makes antiseptic mouthwash
12. If a wound has glass in squeeze both sides of the wound and it will pop out
13. White vinegar treats fungal nail infection. 1 part vinegar 2 parts water
14. Duct tape will hold a large wound together until you can deal with it
15. Scrape stings out with an ATM card. Pinching it out forces more venom in
16. Sanitary pads make excellent pressure dressings
17. Seal a sucking chest wound with a plastic bag fixed on 3 sides only over the wound. These improvised flutter valves have saved many lives. Exhaling allows air in the chest cavity to escape. Inhaling pulls the bag to the skin and allows a collapsed lung to re-inflate.
18. Clove oil relieves toothache
19. Strong, cooled black tea relieves conjunctivitis
20. Parsley stops bad breath and contains masses of vitamin C and vitamin A
21. Eggshell is the best form of calcium supplement. Dry them, grind to a fine powder and add to food and/or drink.
22. Olive oil loosens solid earwax
23. Regular sugar heals wounds, just pour it in, it doesn’t sting and promotes healing.
24. Tampons work well to plug penetrating wounds
25. Curved upholstery needles are good for suturing wounds
26. Dental floss is a good substitute for suture material in emergencies
27. Toothpaste applied to a blister or cold sore will dry them up
28. A patch of duct tape over a wart will kill it. Change patch daily.
29. Maggots make excellent cleaners for infected wounds
30. Children under 16 should not be given aspirin
31. Anyone with clotting disorders should not be given aspirin as it’s an anti coagulant.
32. 1/4 aspirin a day helps prevent heart attacks/strokes by thinning the blood
33. Cut toe nails straight across to prevent in growing and infection
34. A small blob of softened candle wax will seal a tooth where a filling is lost
35. Pleasant smells lift the spirit and enhance your mood
36. Pregnant women should not eat foods high in vitamin A ( foetal blindness) There is enough in a balanced diet.
37. The trace elements in homemade chicken soup really do make you feel better
38. Sniffing onions or vapour rub can remove small foreign bodies from you eye, they causes tears which washes the debris out
40. A large elastic band/ hair bandana be used as an emergency tourniquet
41. keep a hand/foot dressing in place with a fingerless rubber glove
42. Hold an arm/leg dressing in place with cut off piece of panty hose
43. Strap a broken finger with tape to an unbroken one next to it
44. Strap two broken fingers together to immobilize them
45. Sneeze into the crook of your arm to avoid contaminating your hands
46. Push elevator buttons with your knuckle so your fingers stay clean
47. Been hiking? If you can’t wash your clothes seal them in bags for 5 days to kill lice and other nasties you may have picked up.
48. Damp dust weekly to prevent mite infestation
49. Clean wounds however minor as soon as possible to prevent infection
50. Never burst blisters it lets infection in. Blister fluid is sterile.
51. Barley water relieves cystitis. (Boil grain and drink the juice)
52. Cranberry juice relieves cystitis
53. If you pop an abscess use a sterile needle at the bottom of the abscess to aid drainage
54. Flies spread disease. Clear all waste, food, human and pet immediately
55. Never give alcohol to hypothermic patients, it will cool them more
56. Re-warm hypothermia victims with gentle heat, preferably body heat, and do it slowly
57. Don’t rub areas you suspect to be frost bitten as it causes more damage to the already damaged skin.
58. Prevent scurvy with adequate vitamin C
59. Prevent rickets with adequate vitamin D
60. Prevent spina bifida in babies with folic acid in pregnancy
61. Prevent anaemia with adequate iron intake. Cast iron cookware helps as molecules of iron leach into the food cooked in them.
62. Prevent bone/tooth problems with adequate calcium
63. Prevent pregnancy by using natural sponge as a barrier to ejaculate
64. Natural sponge can also be a reusable feminine hygiene product
65. Wrapping a person who is cold in a mylar/emergency blanket will prevent heat from the outside getting to them as it will be reflected away. Use with care.
66. Don’t wrap people with a high temperature in mylar/emergency blankets no matter how sick they are, they will overheat and this can lead to confusions and death.
67. Treat a collapsed diabetic with sugar dissolved in water to form a paste. Put it between their bottom lip and lower gum so it quickly gets into their bloodstream. Repeat if required.
68. Milk is alkaline and will ease the pain of heartburn and acid reflux.
69. Biting down on a teabag that has been soaked in 1/2 inch of boiling water and allowed to cool will stem the bleeding and inflammation caused by a tooth extraction.
70. Honey has antimicrobial properties and spread on cuts and grazes will help keep a wound infection free.
Anybody got any tips we could add to the list? Please feel free to use the comments box and share your tips.