You pick up a lot of information these days, TV, internet, books. there’s a constant flow of news, images and info bombarding us constantly from every side. Sifting through it and finding out if something is true, or false is becoming extremely time-consuming as more and more articles are published that seem intent on swaying us in one direction or the other. Here’s a few snippets of info, checked and sorted to save you doing the research.
It’s a fact that:
1. Bush fires travel faster uphill than down.
2. Hurricane lamps work with cooking oil.
3. Super glue will close a skin wound in an emergency.
4. Duct tape and sticks make a very decent splint.
5. Natural sponge can be used as a re-usable feminine hygiene product.
6. Drain Cleaner and bleach mixed together produce chlorine gas.
7. Wasp nest spray has a range of up to 20 feet
8. Wasp nest spray causes temporary blindness if it hits the eyes
9. Wasp nest spray and a lighter make an effective flame thrower.
10. I like wasp nest spray.
11. Plastic bags/food wrap prevent wound infection when used to cover/wrap an open wound.
12. Maggots clean infected wounds very effectively.
13. Putting large stones around a wood burner will throw heat back into the room for some hours after the fire is out.
14. Putting tinfoil behind a candle will more than double the heat and light output.
15. Putting a couple of layers of tinfoil behind a wood burner will increase the heat output.
16. A solar still will turn urine or dirty water into drinking water due to evaporation.
17. Elderberry extract has very good anti-viral properties.
18. Cloves relieve toothache.
19. Aloe Vera relieves burns.
20. Natural yogurt relieves sunburn.
21. Cinnamon has antibiotic properties and is a good mouthwash.
22. Flies spread disease. Duct tape makes effective fly paper when hung in a room.
23. Bubonic plague is carried by fleas and is still in circulation in areas such as the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
25. Different mosquitos carry different diseases, they all like standing/stagnant water.
26. Planting herbs and lavender amongst vegetables such as carrots and onions will deter smell aroused pests.
27. The favourite snack of a ladybug is green-fly.
28. Acetaminophen (paracetamol) kills snakes. One 1/4 of a tablet is enough.
29. Green skinned potatoes are poisonous eaten raw.
30. The deadly poison Ricin comes from castor beans from the castor oil plant.
If you like bite sized chunks of information you may find some of these articles useful
- 39 uses for everyday items
- 10 diseases that will increase after a collapse
- 21 non-cosmetic uses for petroleum jelly
- A dozen unconventional uses for tires
- How moisturizer can save your life and 12 other useful facts
- 28 alternative uses for mylar blankets
- 29 medical uses for everyday items
- 14 simple ways to get ready for winter
- 35 tips and hacks to help you out of tight spots
- 70 medical tips that work
- 13 tips to keep cool without electricity
- 18 uses for wood ash
- 30 uses for the items in your crap draw
- 32 ways to beef-up your home security
- 7 pieces of medical advice you should ignore
- 15 preparedness reasons to grow bamboo
- 16 uses for candle wax
- 11 surprising uses for VapoRub
- 5 alternative uses for plastic bottles
- 28 alternative uses for tea
- Things to do before winter arrives